Thursday, January 7, 2010

How do you tell someone their perfume makes you ill?

There is an elderly lady in my office who wears perfume 100 years old and lots of it! The smell makes me nauseous, light headed, my nose burns, watery eyes, difficulty breathing, etc. I respect her very much and would never say anything to offend her. How can I tactfully get her to NEVER wear this particular perfume again? Thanks for any advice in advance!How do you tell someone their perfume makes you ill?
I was the one that wore the perfume that made someone I worked with very ill. Not only was I grateful for her honesty but so was a lot of people I hadn't realized being affected by the amount I had been using. Please do yourself and maybe her family and friends a great favor, tell her. If she seems to get a little offended, just ignore it and walk away but you can bet on it, she will either change her perfume or use less. Trust me, been there, done that.How do you tell someone their perfume makes you ill?
I have this issue a lot because of my allergies and asthma. i always tell people that I really like their perfum, but for some reason the really good ones always set off my allergies. Could she consider not wearing it, or at least not so much of it, because hers must be one of those good ones and it gets me every time. If that doesn't work, this becomes a human resources or supervisor issue. You have to be able to function in your workplace and management has to make reasonable adjustments if your health is compromised by your work conditons. Many offices have no fragrance policies just for this very reason. Also to note, the lady may not actually be wearing a lot of perfume, it could be that her body chemistry (or her body heat) is such that it intensifies the fragrance and would be like that no matter how little she wore. I've seen that happen before, too. Either way, she should be aware of that by now and know better.
I speak up nicely and say ';I'm allergic to some perfumes and that particular brand is making me ill'; I do that with smokers too.
'; just cough around her';..then write her a nice ....very nice...note
You can't. Everyone has a right to wear the perfume that they like. I sympathize with you, as I am very sensitive to smells, but it is just rude to expect someone to not wear the perfume they like just because it bothers you.
contact your HR dept. This is affecting your job, and she cannot wear overwhelming perfume to work like that. Don't go to her, go her superior/HR.
You would be surprised how tactful conversation can bring people together- you don't have to be mean just honest-that you like her perfume but that you have had some problems because of allergies you may have and could she wear a little less =she may now know because her sense of smell is diminished-I had to tell one of my employees about hers and we ended up great friends-start with an apology and that you certainly would never want to hurt her feelings-you may find she has not intended to offend you-but be prepared to give a little on your side to-perhaps asking her to try just a little less to see if you feel better-You could always give her a perfume you do like but is lighter in scent-Good Luck
it is against policy these days and you can demand that management keep perfume use in check.





just say to your boss what you wrote here and say you think you may be having a reaction, but ask them to be nice.





if it bothers you that much it must be obvious to the boss as well. thy may just let it go if no-one complains but they will probably be glad of the excuse to stop it. specify whether it is the scent alone or the amount of it.





the sense of smell goes faint in the elderly and sometimes they feel less need to shower daily even though the rest of us notice. she may not realize how much she has on.
tell her that you have allergic problem with strong perfumes.
Just be frank and direct.Pull her to the side alone and tell her that her perfume makes you very sick.Truth hurts,but time makes things and situations heal.
Look, my boss is a woman and I had to tell her this. She came in with some kind of product on (perfume, hair product?) that for some reason was getting me right in the throat. It actually was causing some kind of reaction in my throat that made me cough and made it hard for me to speak.





What can you do? If you really are having an allergic reaction there is little else to do. Approach her privately if you feel comfortable or have your boss or HR department do it if you are not comfortable.





*

No comments:

Post a Comment